Slip and fall accidents can happen at many locations, from your local grocery store to a neighbor's home, in Flagstaff and Northern Arizona. Unfortunately, these accidents can cause serious injuries, and a property or business owner’s negligence is often to blame.
A slip and fall claim can be complex and very difficult to prove. You need an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer in Arizona on your side to win your case and obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Top Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Property and business owners in Arizona must maintain their property safely and promptly repair any dangerous conditions. When owners breach this duty, many victims suffer long-term injuries, like broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal injuries. Common ways that the negligence of owners leads to slip and fall accidents include the following:
- Wet surfaces. Wet surfaces are a common cause of slip and fall accidents. This can be caused by spilled drinks in a restaurant to wet floors after mopping. Property owners are responsible for promptly cleaning wet surfaces and warning visitors of potential hazards.
- Defective flooring. Another leading reason victims suffer injuries in a fall is due to defective flooring. Cracked or uneven floors, loose tiles or floorboards, or torn carpeting can pose a danger to visitors if property or owners fail to address the defects promptly.
- Debris. Debris left on walkways or in store aisles can create tripping hazards. Debris posing a slip and fall danger includes loose wires, trash and discarded packaging materials, or boxes of goods to be stocked on store shelves.
- Inadequate lighting. Poor lighting can make it difficult to see potential hazards and increase the risk of preventable slip and fall accidents. Dimly lit stairways, parking lots, and sidewalks can make it impossible for victims to avoid injuring themselves in a fall.
- Broken stairways. Broken stairways can be extremely dangerous. Loose handrails, broken stairs, or stairs with inadequate traction are dangerous hazards that can cause slip and fall accident victims to suffer life-altering injuries or death.
- Potholes and asphalt cracks. Potholes and cracks in asphalt or concrete parking lots and sidewalks can cause an unsuspecting victim to slip, trip, and fall. The dangers are increased if there is also insufficient lighting.
- Inadequate training. Business owners must ensure their employees receive adequate training to prevent slip and fall accidents. However, when they fail to train their workers to spot and handle hazardous conditions or clean up spills quickly, they can be liable if a guest suffers injuries in a fall.
- Lack of warning signs. Property and business owners must set up warning signs to alert visitors of potential hazards, such as wet floors or uneven surfaces, if they cannot remove the dangerous condition immediately. If they breach this duty, they could be liable to compensate a slip and fall accident victim.
Compensation Awarded in Slip and Fall Accident Claims
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries under Arizona law. It is essential to retain a knowledgeable slip and fall accident attorney who can value your claim and fight with the insurance company so that you receive all the damages you deserve in your settlement. Types of compensation you can recover include the following:
- Medical expenses. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor's appointments, medications, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages. If your injuries prevent you from working, you may deserve compensation for your lost wages. This can include past and future lost wages and any loss of earning capacity if you become permanently disabled or must take a pay cut due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering. Slip and fall accidents can be extremely painful and traumatic, and you may be able to recover compensation for your physical and emotional pain and suffering. You cannot accurately determine the value of this portion of your claim without the assistance of a skilled slip and fall accident lawyer.
- Wrongful death. If a loved one died due to injuries caused by a slip and fall accident, you might be entitled to compensation in a wrongful death action. Damages you may recover can include funeral expenses, medical bills, loss of your family member’s financial support, and pain and suffering.